Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Adventures in Reading: "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman

Sorry this review took so long! It took me a while to get through the book itself, plus I went on vacation and just had other things going on. I do wish I had gotten around to this sooner, though, because I feel like I'm forgetting what it was I wanted to say about it. Such is life sometimes.

The concept of this book is really intriguing to me. When Shadow, a recently released convict, takes a job with the mysterious Wednesday, he soon discovers that the physical and spiritual world are really just one place. He is then thrust into the middle of an impending battle between the gods of the past (Odin, Horus, Eostre) and the gods of today (television, internet). Throughout the novel there are also several stories describing how the old gods were brought to America by believers.

What really held my interest in this story was the way the author just drops the reader into the story, and the way the reader, like Shadow, often accept the events of the story as they come without much thought about the utter impossibility of what is occurring. A dog speaks, Shadow responds, and it isn't until later that either Shadow or the reader seems to take notice of the strangeness of the situation.

Over all, I really enjoyed this book. There were times when I stopped reading so I could go look up the history of one god or another, and there were times when I just plowed through, knowing that the author would provide me with what I needed to know. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an engaging read, who also doesn't mind a lot of graphic imagery and language. None of the violence or language felt gratuitous, but it was still prevalent throughout the story.

No comments: