Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Adventures in Reading: "Leaf Storm and other stories" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Sorry blog. I'm way behind! I've got excuses, but none of them are really very good, so we'll just skip them for today.

So..."Leaf Storm and other stories" is a compilation of short stories written by Nobel Prize winner Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Marquez also wrote "One Hundred Years of Solitude" (which currently resides in my reading "to do" pile at home). He's a name I'd heard of, but hadn't really put much thought into. But that was before I went to the writing workshop. One of the instructors read a passage from a story called "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings". And I was hooked. I did a little research, and found that Marquez is famous for writing in the Magical Realism genre. This particular genre is really fascinating to me, and I hope that I can learn from it and incorporate elements of it into my own writing.

As for the collection itself, I enjoyed it very much. Some of the stories were a bit hard to grasp, as they truly do blend what's real and what's fantastic. I had to let go of my need for explanation or closure in some of the stories and appreciate them for the vignettes that they are.

So, yes, I would recommend this collection. It was a good introduction to Marquez and his style of writing. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to read something a bit out of the ordinary.

1 comment:

Jessye said...

I haven't read his short stories. I'll have to check them out. I am currently reading "Love in the Time of Cholera" and read "Solitude" I really liked "Solitude."It is definitely different though. I hadn't ever read anything in the Magical Realism, and didn't know what I was getting myself into. Fun read though.