Monday, November 2, 2009

Adventures in Reading: "Stardust" by Neil Gaimen

This is the first book I've reviewed on this blog that I have seen the movie version of first. It's also the first repeat author. A post of firsts!

What I'm about to say makes me uncomfortable. The literary student in me cringes slightly, because I am about to say something nearly blasphemous...

I liked the movie better.

Ok...backing up now...

I enjoyed this book. It was engaging, a real adult fairy tale. However, and maybe this is one of the few cases like this, it really felt lacking when compared to the movie. The movie felt much more full, and changes that were made in the movie really did a lot for it's entertainment value (gah, saying this stuff makes me feel like a traitor!).

Here's my real dilemma: I don't know how to accurately portray this book. It was a really quick read. I don't feel like most of the characters were especially dynamic, and though I cared about them and their situations, there was a lack of substance to them that I think could have been fixed by making the story longer and more full. The lack of character definition really surprised me because "American Gods", also by Gaimen, had exceptionally well-developed characters. I wonder if seeing the movie first is the reason I feel this way, or if viewing order is irrelevant. There's no way for me to really know, but I'm curious.

Having said all that, I still want to recommend this book. It held my interest, and the overall story was imaginative and charming. Gaimen has a unique perspective as an author, and that's evident in this story. So if you're looking for a fairly quick read, check this book out.

And after you read the book, watch the movie.

No comments: