Monday, January 2, 2012

Books for 2012

*Updated 1/31. A bit less ambitious, but a bit less terrifying ;)

I've decided to make a list of all the books I want to read this year. I think this is the first time I've ever done this, surprisingly enough. I'm going to see if I can do 20. I bet I could do more, but I'd rather start low and do better ;)

So here it is, in no particular order:

-The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien (gotta reread it before the movie!)
-Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
-The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
-The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins (that counts for three!)
-Emma by Jane Austen (possibly the only Austen I haven't read)
-One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
-Moby Dick by Herman Melville
-Prodigal God by Tim Keller
-Middlemarch by George Eliot (I loved this book in college, and now can't remember anything about it)
-The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
-A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
-The Shack by William Young
-Dracula by Bram Stoker (it's been on my bookshelf for a couple of years now. Got it at a garage sale for fifty cents. Might as well...)
-Tristram Shandy by Laurence Sterne
-Travelling Mercies by Anne Lamott
-Atonement by Ian McEwan
-To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (because I've never read it and that's weird)
-My Name is Hope by John Mark Comer

Ambitious, right? I'll always be an English major in my heart.


4 comments:

Jessye said...

That is a very lofty list! I attempted Brothers last month and it was SO BORING! Seriously. You thought Anna was bad. Let me know about Atonement. I was really haunted by the movie and have been scared to read the book.

Jessye said...

AND you haven't read Hunger Games?! You NEED to start with those.

Jessye said...

I looked at your list again this mornng. You will LOVE Dorian Gray. I was a little shocked at first because I didn't know anything about it and was expecting Ernest (which it was FAR from). And Middlemarch has been on my list for three years! Hopefully I will finally get it read this year too.

Avery said...

Ok, so your comment about the Brothers K genuine scared me, so I edited my list a little. And every time I've gone to the library for the first Hunger Games book, all copies are checked out into the next century. Maybe I'll hit the Book Bin. Also, you can borrow my copy of Middlemarch!